Thread: Am I wrong?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Are you right ethically? Of course you are. They shipped you a defective product and should absorb all costs to make you whole again.

But, legally, you have no case. E-bay simply requires you to send the item back to the seller and the seller is obligated to refund only the item price.

Imagine buying an IBM typewriter on e-bay (WTF was I thinking?). The DB packs the typewriter in a cardboard box without any packing material whatsoever. You can imagine that it was completely trashed by UPS.

I get to pay $30 to send it back to the seller at my expense. Thankfully, the seller refunded the purchase price and the outbound shipping (but not the return shipping). I'm still out the $30 because his staff are a bunch of idiots.

That's the fundamental problem with e-bay and the fleabag sellers that pervade that place.
You're missing the point, BC.

They didn't ship me what I ordered. You got a damaged typewriter. How about if you'd gotten a serviceable smith-corona?

Legally I am right. (Please trust me on this, I used to practice law and the UCC applies even in the armpit of the east.) It's not like I plan on going there to sue them, though.

My question was more about ethics and morals.

As far as the cost, it's almost half the cost of the wrongly-shipped item. And to me it's more about right and wrong, not the money.