View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Anytime that something happens of a criminal nature in a local neighborhood, the press finds some average person and the person promptly says, "This never happened here before.........I thought this was a safe neighborhood".

Said person, doesn't understand the statistics of crime, wouldn't know if the same crime happened on the next street and wouldn't know if their neighborhood is "safe" or "not safe" with the exception of some singular anecdotal tidbit of information that has formed the majority of their opinion.

I was hoping that you didn't fall into the same category.
I have considered our situation a little charmed and was not really surprised.....actually surprised it didn't happen sooner since we are on the edge of a really nice neighborhood and one blockish away is a pretty poor neighborhood. The poor neighborhood is where I first lived when I came to Lafayette and I can remember sleeping with the window open and hearing shots fired on occasion.

It was where the people from Appalachia settled when they came north and while in my experience people from that culture can be the most loyal friend you can imagine but if you doublecross them they can also be vicious (I hear).

I am perfectly aware that crime can happen in any neighborhood and do see squad cars down the hill from time to time.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.