View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
https://fintail.org

Replacing Oil Filter Housing Gasket On OM617 Engine

This article will show you how to replace the oil filter housing gasket on an OM617 engine (W116 300SD pictured). My engine is nearly leak-free, but it has been leaking quite a bit of oil from the oil filter housing. Tightening up the bolts didn't fix it, so I knew it was time to replace the gasket.

I assume the oil level is lower than the housing, and am not sure about oil levels in the cooler lines, but it was time for an oil change, anyway--and I didn't want to test it. I drained out the old oil.

Raising the oil tower lid helps the oil in the filter drain.

In order to loosen the oil cooler lines, a thin 24mm wrench is needed to hold the fittings from turning. You can get one of these cone wrenches from a bicycle shop for less than $10. A 27mm wrench is needed for the nuts on the oil cooler lines. If the lines are taking too much force to loosen and it's starting to round the nuts, you may have to cut a slot at the box end of the wrench so it will slip over the line and grip the nut. It may also be necessary to cut off the open end of the wrench to clear the vacuum lines. It was not necessary for me, though I did have to use a small adjustable wrench opened fully to turn off the nuts completely.

After the top line is loose, there are two sets of clamps (at least on a W116) that hold the lines. These should be loosened so that the lines can be moved out of the way.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles