View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

The Truck Wisper er. 2000 silverado redux

Dont you just Luuuuv pickup trucks? I really like some --and not so much others. Im doing a quickee rehab of a silverado I got so this is my truck ramblin thread about modern type haulers, ones to drive, ones not to. I'll be very detailed about some details--and very vague about others - and ramble too. Ford guys who have no appreciation for my perspective -- or whoever who has no appreciation for my rambling somewhat coherently should take their barby dolls around to the back porch where they wont embarrass themselves or anyone close to them anymore.
A long long time ago, and I can still remember - a place called Custom f/X auto and truck acessories 1 800 972 KITS in Dallas Texas. We were doing camaro, corvette, firebird, and mustang kits- then about 1991 we started concentrating on the 1988 up chevy pickups- The smoothest and most beautiful to date and the model that brought the SPORT TRUCK trend to a zenith it had never seen before-(and since).
I was the pattern tool maker there and did most all the truck stuff, the manager larry-and later the owner- when the name was switched to Eliminator sport trucks, had never seen a plaster splash done. I came from 2 miles west of the Dallas county line in tarrant co. Ft worth was and is a small city-but a big aerospace mfg town--its where the USA's fighter jets come from a mile long hanger at lockheed on the west side of town-and where lots of tooling tecniques get the job done ( even if it is by groups of 10 guys doing a 1 man job).
Anyhow larry tells me we are gonna do a smooth cowl induction hood for the chevy pickups and goes over and pulls out a 70's corvette stinray hood out of the rack for pulling a quick mold to get started.. i tell him---if he would just listen to me for once - we could do it in 1 hour instead of 2 half days time dealing with the usual f-glass mould.
So he agree's and i get him to drive over to the supply house in s Ft worth and we get a bag of plaster and finagle a small amount of hemp fibers -Because-No Way larry would cough up $120 for a whole bail. On the way back to big d I ask larry if there are any old potato sacks at the shop, "yup" - So I know we would have just enough material for the plaster splash. Anyway once we get back I get some buckets and mix two pails of slurry plaster and tell Larry to get on the other side and do what I do..........
The corvette hood is sitting there on a work bench with the scoop area masked off and waxed ... and I stick my hand in the wet runny plaster - cup a hand full and slam-splash it onto the surface--splashing it all over larry too with a big GRINN
&^$^#$^$#^%$% "What the phuch you think your doin --ill fire your sorry ass" .. 'Yea Sure" I told you to do just what i did " so he scoops some in and half splashes me too, we get the surface and some of each othercovered in the plaster and before it starts to thicken I bump the hood with a piece of 2X4 to get the air bubbles to rise to the surface and migrate away from the tool face. Thats the fun of plaste splashes-its messy but thats just the way it is--its just white dirt anyway. I then have to mix up some more and use the cut up burlap for the main layup and the sparce amount of hemp we begged for to shape into reinforcing rope bands to use along the sides and as cross ribs. larry tries forming the hemp to the surface and says--"This sux' -I get a handfull of wet plaster and showed him how to smooth it down... so an hr later we popped the plaster splash off the hood and set it outside in the sun to dry. later I waxed it a few times and got it ready and sent it back to the production flunkees running the "machine from Hell' -the chopper gun.
After we get the scoop section and set it on the brand new pickup hood and start measuring... we notice something strange, a stock corvette stingray hoodscoop is 5/8 wider on the PS side of the center crease than the DS........ so we had to cut it down the center and remove the amount - then reglass back together ( using the splash as a holding fixture) to get a correct part for the model.
Attached Thumbnails
The Truck Wisper   er.  2000 silverado redux-imag0447.jpg  

Last edited by panZZer; 06-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.