View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Who's flying this thing ?

2013 BMW 535i "M"' Sport I owned from 5/2013 to date

After 3,300 miles so far on the BMW, here are my impressions:

I think the essential package was almost a direct competitor - as equipped - to the e350 Sport.
Again, all the "M" equipment (except the V8 engine and transmission on the fabled "M5" for $30k extra, too!) package; wheels, body kit, steering wheel, suspension, etc.

Gas mileage per the window sticker is 20/30 (premium gas) which wass the best of the cars...

And the dash gauges are wonderful, easy to read and bathed in lovely red light at night.

Handling is wonderfully crisp and immediate and yet the ride is smooth and relaxed...

But the motor! It's an inline 6, *BUT* with dual turbochargers! Man it sure is quick. The turbo only needs to spool up to 1200 rpm, and you're GONE! This one is NOT a manual, the figure for which 0-60 comes up in 5.7 seconds; but this one with an automatic has got to be close. It's VERY fast. The shifter is more fussy though...takes some getting used to.

As does the keyless go; You push a button to start it, BUT the key for the ignition HAS to be in a little slot between the cupholders, or in your pocket, or 10 feet from the car to make it work. But the function works well, the sound is imperceptible and the starting up is instantaneous, much better than the 2012 Audi A6 turbo diesel I had for 2 weeks in Europe last year. BMW did a fantastic job with this feature. I think it is fine, in execution anyway....

The iDRIVE controller, for me so far is diabolically complex, though in years past, I'm told it was even worse. Though the sound quality is just fine! (Premium system like the e350)...

The seats are leather and awfully comfortable, like the Mercedes w212 there is lots of elbow room and good adjustment options on it, but unlike the familiar controls on the Mercedes w212 driver's door, the BMW's are to the side and bottom of the front seat....tougher to adjust easily...

The rear sunshade is a nice touch that my w212 did not have.

I did NOT like the idea of the run-flat tires, but was assured that unlike the donut spares, and regular tires, the "run flats" do NOT consist of merely a tire on a wheel, but have a very thick skin that encloses an "air chamber" and while their limit is 50 miles (when damaged) they WILL get you that far...

A look under the hood revealed a engine bay so complex I could only shake my head. NOT a DIY scene whatsoever...

But the car's handling - that I have NOT put it to the test - feels serene but hints at great performance. Billed as the mid-size "Ultimate Driving Machine" its heritage and road feel seems to ask for, and indeed promise, real driving involvement. To me this kind of thing is awfully alluring.

And in dark graphite - to me it looks very sinister and quite beautiful - though this opinion of course, is something truly subjective, looking at them side by side it makes me think the w212 is more taxicab like and the fact is, BMW's heritage to this day, also includes fast motorcycles...

Plus of course, there is something to be said for a brand new car hitting the road with 17 miles, and had 5 miles on it when I test drove it. Whereas the w212 had 39,000 miles and just a few hundred away from a HUGE service - the 40,000 mile one, that the dealer wants me to pay $1,200+ for.

Finally, I am not so young, and have no wife or kids to say no, and I have the wherewithal, to get the car I liked, so I did it, and I hope everyone here can ALSO - after retirement, buy whatever cars they want - for cash.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)

Last edited by Jim B.; 07-02-2013 at 02:36 AM.