View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Conservative

Thanks. The memories it brought up were strong. When I opened the book and saw those pictures, tears were streaming down my cheeks.

I have a large 8 drawer Kennedy with twin side boxes filled with his tools in storage that I still need to go through. Once I get the basement and gun shop arranged and space cleared for it, I'll have the kids bring it in so I can do it all over again. It is filled with tools that my brother and I made for him as we were getting our feet wet in the trade. We'd made high precision 1-2-3 blocks, angle plates, V-block, grinding vices, sine vices, and other tools. Dad taught us precision first...his thought was that anyone can hack on a mill, that it took skill to be able to produce a high degree of precision on a grinder, especially on the antiquated grinders we had.

I know the memories will pour in when I finally get around to opening those drawers and start going through them.

Pop's life revolved around work and family...work first, then family. Prior to age 13, he was just the man that was gone before I woke up, and didn't come back home until after I was in bed. I'd see him on the weekends, where he'd punish us for not obeying during the week. It wasn't until we began working for him on our 13th birthdays that we really began having a relationship with him...and what a relationship it became. We were father-son, teacher-student, coworkers, and finally close friends.

I sure do miss that old bastard...and I truly mean that in a kind, respectful, and loving manner.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.