Thread: Time for a car
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Razorback Soccer Dad

You all make very compelling points regarding stepping up to newer vehicles over saving money by purchasing a fairly aged one.

I can't agree with you more, but I too would tend to purchase in the same manner as "dear old Dad" would. Why?

For one thing, I am a homeowner and head of household. There are far more things to juggle than just cars, so in the big picture, cheaper is better! Ashman, I know you have experience with running a business, so juggling the myriad of money decisions is not new to you.

So it's easy to just look at things from just the perspective of the car and say this is the better route. But Dad is also thinking about the added insurance costs that a newer vehicle would require, and not just the higher payments. Both combined eats money out of something else in the household budget. And with the shaky economy, perhaps being faced with the burden of more debt isn't comforting either.

If you are just maintaining the expense of a car, deciding to replace an expensive car part is a matter of when to do so. When you run a household, the same decision may impact whether you take your kids to that promised trip to Disney World. There's more at stake.
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car