View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Regardless of the refrigerant, it is illegal to vent refrigerants to the environment.
Uhhhh, not quite true. It's illegal to vent R-12 into the atmosphere. I know of no scenario where it's legal other than accident, unintentional leaks or other such situations.

However, it turns out that it is perfectly legal to vent the refrigerant R134a into the atmosphere provided the refrigerant is in a duster can, and not a refrigeration system.

Duster cans generally contain one of two refrigerants - R134a or R152a. This simply means that to vent your auto A/C system legally, you need to route it through a duster can such as Blow Off as illustrated in the hypothetical scenario below. The can serves as a temporary recovery vessel, which you can then use to dust off a keyboard, your fender or any other dusty surface that is in the proximate area. Be very careful not to vent directly - only through the cans nozzle.

I'll leave it to anyone curious to explain the rational difference in the two scenarios, but that's the law courtesy of the EPA (and the lobbyists for the refrigeration industry).

By the way, it is possible to use 152a (standard duster propellant) in your A/C system and it will work just fine. There are some side effects e.g. HF gas being one of the by-products of combustion should the product catch fire that you should be aware of. However, if it's safe enough to use indoors around electronic gear, it's arguably ok in other, even better ventilated environments...but I leave that decision up to the individual.

You can also use 134a out of a duster can to charge your system if you happen to have the proper can piercer adapter.

This information is specifically provided for entertainment purposes only and should not be relied on in any manner for any action. Consult your own attorney before proceeding. The author did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica