View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
My last tub removal/installation was easy. I cut a hole in the exterior wall, slit the old one out, reframed for the new tub and slid it in. I was getting ready to have new siding on the house anyway, and already had the old siding off...waiting on the crew to show up the next day to install the new. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Great way to combine projects and simplify at the same time.

In the original post, I stated that both the old and new tubs are P.O.S. I thought everyone knew that was for "Porcelain Over Steel. So no cast iron to worry about.
Current tub surround is plastic as is coming out before removing the tub, Future tub surround will be ceramic tile; same for future floor. Toilet and Vanity will be removed during the tub process both for more space, and to replace all the subfloor. Old tub and subfloor had some flex---evidently there is no joist where the apron or skirt of the tub sits, and the subfloor just cantilevered past one joist and was rotted away.
What is the best way to support the replacement tub? He says some tubs come with a foam base, and others require cement.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

This is the only bath room in the house--there is a powder room, but no other bath/shower. That means it all has to happen in a single day. We already did the new shower plumbing---the diverter valve was old, and began to leak, and there were no replacement parts available. He plans to remove the surround, and the existing sheet goods on the floor before I come up to help him.
Would you remove the existing subfloor, or just go over top and add shims in the tub area ( where there is no subfloor) to match the height?