View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Wow Stretch Thanks for all the awesome information! So much I feel a bit on overload.... You really are a guru!

Hopefully I will have all of this figured out and repaired long before winter- but you never know.... Either way there is always a lot more that I could get help learning or fixing on my cars. You might have to share the place with Kerry for one day though...

I wondered if you think it is better to just remove the tranny or to take out the engine and tranny together. If you recommend just the tranny, I wonder if you can point me to a good set of instructions on how to properly do this- esp a very easy to understand explanation of how to deal with the torque converter separation. I don't quite understand what you mean when you say to slide it to the tranny side.

Also, do you have tricks for how to get the tranny clean before opening it up? Do you have a pressure washer or steam cleaner or just lots of solvent and elbow grease and rags. And about rags, I have heard that lint can be a problem- do you use something special. How do you plug or seal the fluid carrying connections? I have just been wrapping or plugging them with rags. Is this ok? I have also been worried about having a clean enough place to open it up and do the work. I was somewhat reassured when I saw Stretches photos of all the work on the deck but I am still worried about whether I can make a workspace that is clean enough and dust free enough.

DOES ANYONE HAVE RECOMMENDATIONS ON GOOD SOURCES FOR GETTING THESE PARTS AFFORDABLY ( INCLUDING THE SHIPPING )AND RELATIVELY EXPEDIENTLY IN HAWAII ???

Are there significant considerations in terms of matching trannies and 617 engines? or are they pretty interchangeable?

Guess I will start looking into the parts list for the pump repair. Is there anything else in terms of preventative maintenance that I should definitely include in that order. Remember that I have another tranny that I can also rob parts from ( note to self that I need to check model number on that tranny now that I know where it is...)

BTW How much would you think that just the parts would cost for a complete rebuild if I should ever venture into that dimension of reality?

And yes, the $1800 does include a torque converter and a two year warrantee.

Off to bed to most likely dream about trannies.... I hope they are shifting smoothly....

With Aloha

Levie