View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 AM

The job of bleeding the clutch is not difficult if you use the squirt can. The hardest part might be finding a decent squirt can, as the chepo I got at Harbor Freight leaked. I have three manual 123s and so I've had allot of practice bleeding clutches. The brake slave to clutch slave method is a pain as the two nipples are different sizes. There are several reasons to forget that method. The squirt can generally has the same size end as the slave nipple so get some clear hose at the hardware store that fits tight on both. Pull fluid out of the brake reservoir using a turkey baster so it doesn't over flow when you pump fluid up. fill the squirt can, hold the hose up, gently squeeze the pump trigger and get the air out of the hose, now attach the other end to the clutch slave nipple, open it and pump. When your assistant sees only clear fluid coming into the reservoir, close the nipple, your done...not a big deal if you have a squirt can and some hose. If the fluid leaks a little around the nipple put a some Teflon tape on the threads. Also if you put the box end of the wrench (7mm) over the nipple before the hose it wont keep falling off. Theres a recent clutch bleeding post where the guy used a large syringe, a new, clean grease gun would probably work also.

1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"