View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 AM

It's possible to get a gloss finish with a brush or wipe-on may work even better with contoured surfaces. Wipe-on will just take longer due to a lighter application coat.

With either one, there are a few hints I've read that help considerably.
1)Dust control. Wipe the surfaces to be finished with a microfiber cloth. One hint I read, mentioned running a vaporizer/humidifier beforehand to help remove airborne dust. Of course, your local climate will determine how much dust control will be needed. I've seen some phenomenal finishes where the "paint booth" was damp canvas drop cloths hung on the walls of a garage.
2)Dampen the brush/cloth with mineral spirits or water (depending on the finish base).
3)High quality brush (china bristle or polyester) There is a technique called "tipping off" that eliminates most of the brush strokes.
4)Sandpaper, not steel wool, between coats. Very fine, there are grits up to 1000+. The idea is to promote adhesion, not leveling the surface when sanding finishes.

Spraying a finish makes the application faster but prep and dust control are still the main factors.

84 300SD 350K+ miles ( Blue Belle )