Thread: W114 A/C
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFreeh View Post
I cannot count how many times I read something in an add that says the A/C doesn't work....

Some of my favorites are:

1. Don't know it it works, never tried it. So, you're telling me that you own a car, maybe for some time and you've never, ever tried to run the ventilation without using the A/C? Never used defrost/defog? Oh come on now.... Likely, it's more a case of I tried it, but it didn't seem to work. Let's be honest now. And maybe, if you truly know so little about the car, other claims you make are now pretty suspect.

2. Just needs a charge. No ****, Sherlock. That's because it has a leak. And if it's been a awhile, might as well add in a compressor and a dryer to the cost of replacing what is leaking.

Which brings us to this excuse given to the OP. Why on earth rewire it so it doesn't work? If it works, use it. Maybe the car was overheating? OK, so DON'T use it, but why intentionally disable it? Not using it is as simple as leaving the rotary temp switch on the console alone... Doesn't make sense.

I suspect the system has a broken compressor, or has a leak.

First step for me would be to verify compressor/clutch action. Then verify pressure. You can install a R12 manifold to the taps on top of the compressor, and they have mechanical valves that can be operated by using a robust 1/4" open wrench. These valves can also be used to isolate the compressor from the system, observe the rising stem on the valve, and mid-position the stem.

If you have residual pressure and the compressor/clutch checks out, you be lucky. If no pressure, you've got a leak. Most likely would be the hoses, followed by the condenser (rock hit).

If the sytem has been dead for a while, you can get leakage at the compressor seal when you repressurize.

You can also pull a vacuum on the system and see if it holds (which is good).

If you've got a leak, get a freon sniffer and with the car in a garage (need still air) sniff the system from front to back. You can verify an evaporator leak by sniffing the vents on low speed.

Good luck,

Jim
x2
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.