View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanreed View Post
Yes, I do think the "not disengaging" is correct. Assuming the clutch is properly bled, what should I be looking for as the problem?

Is there anything else that can be checked before disassembling the clutch?
I have exactly the same car, and have had exactly the same clutch frustrations. What to look for? Brake fluid on the master cylinder behind the boot, showing leakage there, and in the same place on the slave. What you're describing is far more likely to be a hydraulic system problem than the need for a new clutch.

I had one master cylinder go bad in a matter of months after replacing it, for reasons I still do not understand. But it WAS wet, and definitely was leaking. So, I replaced it, this is after previously also replacing the slave, bled from the RF caliper upwards, car worked great for a while, then went back to not working. I finally parked it in frustration, but just the other day fired it back up to work on it, and the clutch seems to work fine.... (!!!???)

The car was parked on a side slope that had the left side of the car several inches higher than the right side for about four months. I have to wonder if some trapped air bubble slowly worked itself out of there... ?

Anyway, I'm back to trying to make this car operable again this week, and will be hoping that my "slope/air bubble" theory is somehow valid, or at least that I have better luck bleeding the system next time around...
1990 Subaru Legacy wagon, 330k
1991 Subaru Legacy wagon, 225k