View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler=Better View Post
I bet a slam hammer would pull the pins out if you had a sturdy adapter threaded all the way into them.

You can't always restore everything, plus bear in mind that gassers are fast & loose, and approximate everything.

Fix what you need to, and nothing more. If something cheap and easy can be done at the same time (orings on the fuel injectors, etc.) go ahead and do it-but keep everything else cheap & easy. If something else breaks, then you go on and fix that. Don't be afraid to smear a little RTV on an old gasket and reuse it(within reason).

On a side note, I've been running an experiment on my DD: My electric fan is wired with scotchloks (THE DEVIL IN ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS) and crimp connectors (a close second). I've had one scotchlok start to melt, but it has otherwise been working for the past 6 months. Moral of the story: even mediocre fixes will last much longer than you think.
The slide hammer option is out 'cos the threads are nearly stripped. I'll leave the pins in place and work around them if I have to - I just want this car to get me and the children to England and back in two weeks time. I'm not doing restoration work on this one.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!