View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFreeh View Post
W115 or W114, 1968 -1976.

Some changes beginning in 1974, primarily front fenders, and bumper mounting scheme.

This chassis is quite prone to rusting. Your car, being from the humid, salty northeast may be beyond reasonable salvage.

Lots of rust free bodies are still around in the southwest US for nominal prices.
Even if you spend a grand to ship it back, you'll be light years ahead of trying to fix yours.

Jim
The most noticably visual changes had to do with the rear tail lights and 5 mph impact bumpers. The tail lights are seriously superior, larger and much more visible at night and have those famous ribs to reduce dirt build up blocking visiblity. The bumpers really provide major resistance to parking lot damage, very very stout. Believe me! And that's about it, as I recall the early front fenders are totally interchangeable with the last cars.

I've often read all over the web how everyone says this body style is so prone to rust. I don't know if it is so much because of it's design and construction or the geographical locations. I've even read much discussion on the highly vaunted values of "California cars are the best ones, they never rust in California!" and yet w114 and w115 cars in California often refferenced for the quantities of rust in them too. The only thing I can talk about is my own personal exprience with those models I have seen here in Texas. Most of the ones that I could confirm to being always in Texas (and not any where near the Gulf coast) were pretty much rust free. Not so much if they came from out of state, particularly from up north. Mine was sold new in Dallas from Van Winkle. Its spent it's entire life right here in the DFW area. It is rust free. No apologies, no excuses here. It's rust free. Everywhere. Couple years ago, had a new windsheild put in, the windshield frame was spotless, still had a nice coat of paint all in it, no rust. Spent about 90 odd % of it's life garage kept. Don't believe it? Won't matter. It's still rust free.