View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Recently purchased 1991 300D, noob questions

Hello,

Long time Mercedes freak, noob to diesels here. My other half and I recently purchased a 1991 300d with 309,000 miles on it. The car was owned by one person up until recently and was always/almost always serviced at a Mercedes dealer. The car runs/drives absolutely great, apart from a few things. I've searched and searched, and got mixed answers, so I was hoping some of you friendly folks could clear up a few things for me.

1. It has a grey/white smoke cloud on start up. Starts great, glow plug light seems to work as it should, and after the initial cloud at the first "puff" it seems to be perfectly fine. smokes on harder throttle at times as well. My question is, is that normal? I've read everything from possible head gasket problem (coolant is good) to simple fuel burning and that it's normal. Just wanted to get a more clear answer.
I've read that a quart of ATF with a full tank will clean out some deposits that might be causing the smoke. Any input regarding this is appreciated.
The car has no leaks except at the injection pump, I see a bit of fresh dark staining on it. Is that my problem?
I mainly would just like to make sure that the car is okay to drive, the smoke itself doesn't bother me much.

2. The A/C was converted over to R134A, there must be some type of leak because I refilled it. It seems to blow alright, but I am wondering what type of pressure I'm supposed to have at the low side. I charged it to ~35, it falls to 32 or so when the compressor kicks on. Can I charge it some more? Or is that the optimal level?

3. I'm a noob to diesels. Even though the car runs/drives great as I indicated above, any overall input and suggestions are appreciated. As far as what i should look into, check over, inspect, and overall ownership input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!