View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
I don't know if I mentioned it but in the first year I got My Car (Feb 2007) Axle Boots Cracked and replace the Axles with CarDone Rebuilts from the now gone Kragens Auto arts.
The stock type Boot lasted 3+ years and started to show cracks and I rebooted them with Dorman Universal type Boots; not the Dorman Stock type Boots.

But, other than the Boot issue the CarDone Axles have had no issues.
I've been satisfied with the CVJ axles I installed in my two W123s, with absolutely no spacer or clip fit-issues.

Othewise, for quite awhile now, I believe there's been a major decline in the quality of the rubber used in many aftermarket replacement parts, like exhaust-hangers and axle-boots, as the rubber decays and cracks prematurely - sometimes after less than a year! Finding aftermarket parts tht fit well has also become a serious problem.

As for the Dorman universal boots, last week I needed to go boot shopping for my '96 Camry and three of the four autoparts stores I checked only had the universal boots for my car, from $16 to $20. Those seemed kind of thin, cheesy and ill-fitting where it secures to the groove in the outer CV joint. Fit is more critical with FWD cars because the boot has to flex with the steering in addition to suspension travel.
I finally found an OE-design replacement at Car-Quest for $10, made of a heavy black vinyl-type material. We'll see how well it holds up.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 07-28-2013 at 08:25 AM.