View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Admiral-Third World Fleet

Quote:
There are several of ways to reattach your new panel. Many cars are now glued together and inner and outer hood and trunk lid panels have been bonded for years. The glue gun and tubes of bonding agent are available at your local auto paint store. The system is a little pricey (maybe $150 or so) but is WAY cheaper than hiring this done. Use either sheet metal screws or pop rivets to hold the panel as the glue dries. The bonding method also makes a seal between the inner and outer panels, keeping the water out. You'll probably need a couple of folks to handle the panel when you put it in place for the final time.
I have something of the same issue on one of my 240Ds. The PO, years ago pronged this and it was banged out and bondod, but now it is really getting bad below the chrome strip.

I had a 300D that I scrapped, but I cut this section out. I am going to bond the lower section of the quarter panel (make the seam at the chrome strip) and use 2 part metal epoxy. The actual adhesive can be bought for around $40 ( you can just mix it together manually - no need for a "system" for a one off use). Should be good as new.

Cutting the scrap car was very instructive. I now realize that there is really very little stress on that section and epoxy should hold fine.
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)