View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 PM

wastegate, oil, smoke, sheesh!

hi folks,

you may recall that i had some engine oil coming out of the wastegate housing on my garrett turbo and didn't realize that my wastegate had never been hooked up to the intake pressure signal. i got the hose connected finally - without the stock angle fitting i was stuck, and reluctant to go on a 2 hour junkyard expedition for a 50-50 chance of finding one.

(in the end i had a machinist make me a brass M10 male x NPT 1/8" female adapter ($15) because i absolutely could not find such a part online. now i put a hose barb fitting in the NPT end and voila.)

before hooking it up, though, i kept driving the car around. i imagined that boost must be low cause it was still so slow (no 0-60 time because i don't know a safe, straight road to try it on). today i found that the oil leak had diminished, but the car had started emitting clouds of white smoke, especially starting from a stop.

my coolant level seemed to have dropped too, which makes me wonder if i blew the head gasket. i read conflicting information about whether whitish smoke might be from burning oil or coolant.

i can't pressurize the wastegate actuator manually because i have no air compressor. (what is the opposite of a mityvac?!)

so, is it time to rebuild the turbocharger, check the head gasket, or what? thanks all for your help!