View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Not so amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
Too many people question my sanity concerning Mercedes Benz as is...

My generic answer to others: Look at what my family drives, and try to buy a "comparable modern" (less than 10 year old) vehicle in todays market. Then we can discuss cost / value / durability / styling / etc.
Things I have been told by people who drive "sensible" cars:

- "Get a good car for a change" (my personal fave, the last guy who said that drives an Elantra)
- "You are undermining the economy and taking away jobs"
- "Why do you need the headaches?" (Yeah, $400 a month out of my bank account is headache-free for sure)
- "What are you, a snob?"

So you see I must be wrong. It MUST BE way better to go into hock for car payments against something that it you're lucky, may equal the loan balance payout (starting to be an iffy on these 5-8 year car loans) when you're tired of it.

It MUST BE way better to invest good money every month in a depreciating asset.

Of course, around here it isn't only cars. The resale home market is very weak, but the new home sales just keep roaring along. People would rather buy a matchstick house with no yard, cheek to jowl with the neighbours, in an area with no trees, than look at an older home in an established area....

But it's NEW!

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22