View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharias View Post
Things I have been told by people who drive "sensible" cars:

- "Get a good car for a change" (my personal fave, the last guy who said that drives an Elantra)
- "You are undermining the economy and taking away jobs"
- "Why do you need the headaches?" (Yeah, $400 a month out of my bank account is headache-free for sure)
- "What are you, a snob?"

So you see I must be wrong. It MUST BE way better to go into hock for car payments against something that it you're lucky, may equal the loan balance payout (starting to be an iffy on these 5-8 year car loans) when you're tired of it.

It MUST BE way better to invest good money every month in a depreciating asset.

Of course, around here it isn't only cars. The resale home market is very weak, but the new home sales just keep roaring along. People would rather buy a matchstick house with no yard, cheek to jowl with the neighbours, in an area with no trees, than look at an older home in an established area....

But it's NEW!
Oh, I'm with you.

I work as an Engineer and I work with some ridiculously smart guys. But sometimes the choices they make just don't make a bit of sense to me.

One guy has a wife and two kids. She runs a beauty business on the weekends, kinda like a makeup artist for weddings, etc. She drives long distances to get there.

He has a 20 mile commute, round trip to work every day. And he has a side DJ business.

He owns a crap minivan, another sedan and a 3 year old Chevy Tahoe, which he is still making $400 month payments on.

Decides to get a new car, buys a Scion iQ. Tells us all that he's going to use the iQ for commuting and then keep the Tahoe for the kids on the weekends. Then he ends up trading in the Tahoe for a 6 month old Honda CR-V.

And has the gall to tell us "I've got $100 more a month this way!"

....no..... you've managed not to spend $100 a month that you used to spend... which is still not that much.

We asked him why he didn't just buy and older Honda or even a VW Jetta and commute with that. He told us he can't buy a used car.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]