Thread: '91 300D
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
That is why, because a trans with under 100k or when bought new, is going to last a very long time. Buying one with 150k+ on it is a different story.

Either way, even with 8 different cars and covering close to 400,000 miles, we only experienced one failure so far, mine lost reverse at 281k, it failed completely in the ensuing 200-300 miles.
If you're driving a car with AT that is over 15 to 20 years old, then maybe they will experience a higher failure rate than under that age. The most aged MB AT diesel we owned and drove daily was 16-years.

If an AT has 150K on it, then why would it not be a surprise to be driven to 300K or 400K miles with no failure? That never surprised me when the miles went into several hundred thousands, with no failure(s). There's no correlation to state with certainty that just because an AT has 150K on it, that it will fail - unless it is long of tooth, i.e. 15-20+ yrs old, for example. I believe age, hard abuse when driving, or a total lack of maintenance takes it's toll more than miles does.

06 E320 CDI - PEWTER/CHARCOAL
C7 Stingray Vert /M7-speed manual trans/3LT/MSRC/FE2/Z51 - Arctic White / Jet Black Napa interior