View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
If you grab the valve cover and try to rock the engine back and forth (passenger side to driver side), you may be able to hear the sound you are having. If it feels very tight, then the sound is probably not bad motor mounts.
I tried this and there wasn't much movement. But now I'm doubting my overall strength

I also checked where the exhaust is mounted near the transmission. That was solid and not loose at all.

Not sure where the flex discs are or the center U joint that rrgrassi suggested.

Here is a short video I made with my phone: 1980 Mercedes 300SD rattle - YouTube

You'll hear three similar noises, the first noise being the loudest. I'm making a left turn in the video. Toward the end of the video I drive over a speed bump but the noise doesn't happen again.

I've attached two pics of my passenger side motor mounts and one of my driver's side.

thanks again for any ideas or input,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Help with vibration or rattle when accelerating from a stop. 1980 300SD Diesel-motor-mount-1.jpg   Help with vibration or rattle when accelerating from a stop. 1980 300SD Diesel-motor-mount-2.jpg   Help with vibration or rattle when accelerating from a stop. 1980 300SD Diesel-motor-mount-3.jpg