View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticedge View Post
Few things of note........also, my truck release button is broken.... not so shocking. and I'll pick up a manual when I have some spare cash.... I wanted to replace the power button on mine but they are proud of that little piece of plastic, 40 bucks...[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
Yes - the switch is located at the 7 o'clock position of your flat console panel next to your driver's seating surface.

.......you need to hold the switch in the 'up' position for a moment to activate the release. With the car's ignition in the 'ON' position.
OK, so the '99 E300 I delivered to Nebraska's trunk-release switch started acting-up the week before I delivered it.

The symptoms are that it works fine, except that it works at random by itself - as when you roll to a stop, it opens. Or, when the car is parked, you may return to the car and find the trunk has released itself to open. At a rest area in Kansas, I left the engine running and locked the car with the valet key, and as I was returning to the car, it popped open on it's own. Not good, since the open trunk has a light that illuminates, and will stay on, not extinguishing itself as the interior lights do automatically on this model car. Not to mention the open trunk presents an open invite to theft if in a public area.

Probable cause was when it was at the headliner trim shop, all kinds of hand prints, smudges left by the contorting of the installers on the inside of the car, and the trunk release switch was likely heavily leaned on during the process of headliner installation. Summarily compromising the switch's electrical contact points, I would guess? Now, anytime you graze the switch while adjusting the outside mirrors for example - 'pop' goes the trunk lid when the car rolls to a stop, triggering the command from when the car was rolling. This now happens a lot.

So, as I re-read this thread, the switch is $40 or so, right AquaE? My Q is how to access the switch in the console, R & Ring the wood panel? How is this accomplished w/o breaking the panel? I'm not too versed in accessing the hidden areas of these cars / Any how-to tips appreciated!