View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Not so amused

I appreciate your attachment to the car and your desire to do right by it and your great-grandad. The fact that you have family members interested is good, subject to their motivation....

Here are a few questions you may want to ask yourself:

- Where will I do the work? (If no heated inside space is available, you are already limited in what you will accomplish this year prior to winter, given that I think you have probably been experiencing the incredibly bad summer we are getting north of you here, where it rains every second weekend.)

- My family is voicing support, but how many hours will they be able to put into it to assist, when push comes to shove and other commitments get into the mix? Is this enthusiastic support (putting in time, lending tools if needed) or just a vague level of support for a nice idea?

- Am I prepared to spend $1,000 in mechanical parts alone this year, aside from the inevitable body rust repairs, to get the car on the road? (This includes tires, brake system components, change of all fluids, likely climate control parts, possibly suspension or front end parts).

- Do I have access to someone with a MIG welder to do the floor repairs, or am I willing to purchase and learn to use one?

- Am I prepared to stick with this for some time and work through any number of small, irritating issues?

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who can help you, if you are up for the challenge. But you have to be realistic on the road ahead of you.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22