View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM

DANG ! Broke my Pin Extractor tool after only 2 minutes of use....working on my 300TD

Opened the bag with my new pin extractor (cost about $65.00) - no instructions came with it, but it looked pretty straight forward. I threaded the one end into the guide rail pin (admittedly not all the way in, about 2/3 of the way in) - slid the outer floating coller towards the engine head, then spun the bolt untill it contacted the bearing on the coller. Then I took my 15mm open ended wrench and slowly turned. After less than a whole turn (about 3 or 4 short turns) - tha darn thing snapped. At first I thought the snapping sound was the pin coming loose - but I quickly saw that the tool had broken. Did I do something wrong?

Here is how I had it installed.

Here is how it broke.

I guess I'll go to the hardware store and find a long stainless metric bolt that matches the pin-thread, and a nut, and a big stack of washers to see if I can get these pins out on the cheap. I still want to know why the tool broke so fast (am going to talk to the place I bought the tool from and see if there's a chance I can get it replaced).