View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
No mistaking that.

Clearly, you'll need just about four cans, as you stated.

One other concern I have is the vacuum level. 27" is nowhere near the level needed to get all the moisture out of the system. In fact, there are some that suggest that 29" isn't even good enough when the residual moisture is calculated.

I have no personal experience with those levels, however, it does appear that those who suggest that you really need to be above 29" have a decent argument.
Initially, I had that concern about not having all the moisture in the system out, but once I remembered my physics lessons of years past, I dismissed it. I'll explain...

Maximum vacuum achievable on earth is approximately 29.92 inHg. My vacuum pump is rated at 29.916 inHg and I left it pumping for long enough that it stopped moving the needle on the gauge and stayed there for over an hour while still pumping. (I suspect that the gauge is not as accurate as it could/should be.) Anyway, by splitting the difference and assuming my vacuum pump achieved 28.5 inHg vacuum, water moisture within the vacuumed system would boil (vaporize) at approximately 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Considering the ambient temperature was 105*F with 5% relative humidity during the vacuuming (with the engine compartment in direct sunlight), the A/C components such as condenser and lines would have reached such a high temperature that virtually all remaining moisture would have vaporized and been sucked out during the course of the hour+ vacuuming. Additionally, the desiccant in the drier should be more-than-able to remove any residuals after that.

I might be incorrect in my thinking, but I don't think I'm completely off-base. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Could moisture really still be part of my issue?