View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
There's no problem with the vacuum or moisture in the system. He's located in Salt Lake, which is at 4226ft elevation. Air pressure and hence possible vacuum is reduced at elevation. At 4000ft air pressure is reduced to 12.2PSI from 14.7 at sea level. Maximum possible vacuum at 4000ft is 25.8 in-hg.

It might help if you post high & low side pressures at idle and 2000RPM. However, I think what you have here is a properly operating R4 a/c system. They just were not all that powerful.

Rather than refrigeration, the next place I'd look is the vacuum actuators and air doors. It's important to get 100% recirculated air in 100 degree temperatures.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input.

On the 25-mile trip in to work this morning, with outside temperatures at 82*F, the vent temperatures got down to 42*F at one point on the freeway, but were mostly around 46*F at freeway speeds. As soon as I got on to city streets, however, the temperatures rose to the mid 50s, and just below 60*F when stopped at a light.

Fortunately, all my vacuum actuator pods work with the exception of the one that controls the feet vents. I just manually close those vents and they stay closed. As for the center vents, I disconnected that actuator and plugged its vacuum line and manually tied the arm on those vents to keep them open all the time, so cold and hot air can blow through those as needed.

I forgot the gauges, so I'll test the refrigerant pressures when I get home. What pressures should I be seeing at idle and 2000 RPM?

Thanks in advance.