View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Location: Out in the Boonies of Hot, Dry, Dusty, Windy Nevada
Removing Vacuum Fuel shut off Valve OM616, OM617

Removing the Vacuum Shutoff Valve on a OM616 is pretty easy to access but a OM617 it is a little tighter between the IP and the Oil Filter housing.

You really can`t get a 10mm gear wrench in there because they are recessed behind the square plate around the valve. a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm Socket works best for me, but the handle is too short to really get any leverage on it.

Iam usually on top of the engine so I can reach down with my left hand to hold on the socket as Iam ratcheting with my right. I don`t know how many times I have dropped the damn ratchet and have to crawl under the car to retrieve it.

Sears has a longer handle 1/4" ratchet with a swivel head, but it is $40. (in store price) no way, when they have the 1/2" long handle ratchet for $32. what gives with that?
Interesting to read up on the comments on this wrench

Sears.com

Harbor freight has a 7" long 1/4 and 3/8" ratchet that I finally bought, and really does the job. it is long enough to stick past the IP to keep a grip on it. the best part it is $15.

1/4" and 3/8" Drive x 7" Double Head Ratchet Wrench

I still get on top of the engine to access the bolts, easier that trying reach from over the fender. And this is in PNP, Iam really not having a rash of shut off valve failures. But for the price of new one`s $150 on up, this is ridiculous. Always good to have some spares on hand.

DO NOT suck on them with a piece of vac hose before pulling them out to see if it is a good one. good way to get a mouth full of black oil.
And once you get it out, point the vac nipple away from you, push in the lever and hold your finger over the nipple to see if it will hold the lever in.

I pulled one that was full of oil, good thing I pointed the Nipple away from me. it shot oil 4ft.

Getting the valve out of a OM616 (240D) is no problem, however on the OM617 (300D/SD) remove the coolant hose behind the Oil Filter Housing, or you will fight to get the valve out.

Hope this helps someone.

Charlie

1) Not much power
2) Even less power
3) Not nearly enough power!! 240D w/auto

Anyone that thinks a 240D is slow drives too fast.

80 240D Naturally Exasperated, 4-Spd 388k DD 150mph spedo 3:58 Diff

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works