View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Electrical Engineer

W124 A/C Wouldn't restart until car was restarted.

Evening folks,

Oy what a terrible commute home. First off, I get on 77 and make my way to the turnpike only to be greeted by a massive line of cars..all the way back to 77.

So in the midst of this waiting my engine temp climbed up to 100C, which it normally does with a/c but I figured I'd turn off the a/c since I've only got one good pusher fan right now. The other one spins well but just doesn't power up.

40 minutes later I make it to the toll plaza to learn that there was an accident on the west bound side of the turnpike and the tollbooth workers were telling people to turn around. FYI I go east.

On the other side I pop the a/c back on..and get nothing. Meh whatever, windows down, roof open.

Then it starts to rain. Windows up, roof open. (on purpose, it didnt break LOL)

It turns out that at 75mph, the rain wasn't heavy enough to fall into the car so it got carried away by the wind. Kinda cool.

I get home, turn the car off, hook up my gauges to check pressures. I figure either a) the compressor failed b) it all leaked out.

Well it was c) nothing. Static pressure was about 90 psi. Turned the car back on gauged moved around and I got cold air.

So I think I have a pissy sensor somewhere but I'm not sure which.

I know that on some days when I turn the key on my pusher fans will come on and stay on for a bit. Not sure if thats related or not.

I've got a set of 140 pusher fans that, one day, I might attempt to retrofit. I got them for like $10 figuring what the hell, even if they dont fit, it was only $10.

So my question to you guys, any ideas on which sensor or maybe a relay?

(4/11/2020: Hi Everyone! I am still taking orders and replying to emails/PMs/etc, I appreciate your patience in these crazy times. Stay safe and healthy!)

82 300SD 145k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k