View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Thank you for the pics.
no problem!

ok, more info. For this part of preparing the tank, you definitely could use a dremel tool or similar and a drill.

Below details installing the roll over tank vent. The purpose of this vent is if you happen to roll your car, the vent will seal closed and prevent the contents of the fuel tank from dumping out and possibly igniting in an accident situation.

What I have sent with each tank is vents I got from the manufacturer, they are kelch brand, and consist of the vent itself, and a bushing.

This is what it looks like on the finished tank they sent me. I assume you can point it in any direction, but they pointed it at this angle if you want to duplicate-

what you get with the tank-

The unfinished boss on the tank itself-

First thing you want to do is drill a hole down the center of the boss. (note, metal tools will cut through the plastic like butter, this whole process does not take too long, but be careful not to cut too much too fast)

Then widen the hole with your dremel tool, the object is to get it to a nice sliding fit for the bushing, you don't want it too loose-
This will also create a lot of debris

The hole will look approximately like this, and the bushing should pop in like so-

next lubricate the sealing surface of the vent (otherwise its impossible to install), and press it into the bushing, it should pop into place, and be able to rotate. The pressure of the vent on the bushing will make an excellent seal around the hole.
EDIT- Note, I just tried turning the vent in the tank I bought a couple years ago, and the vent body itself looks like it might break before it actually turns, so before the lubricant dries up and the rubber bushing gets a solid purchase on the plastic, better to decide what direction you want it to face when you can turn it.

and you are done, apart from vacuuming up all the debris.

Also, while you have your dremel out, check your fill ports for width compared to the cap. I noticed that on the one I bought from the manufacturer, that they had cut back around the inside of the fill a little to match the sealing groove on the cap itself-

here is what the unfinished one looks like, the cap cranks down with a satisfying click, but it won't truly be sealed, it will be a hard plastic to hard plastic connection. You need to cut back a little to make sure the threaded part actually seals down on the rubber gasket