View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 300 SDL View Post
Little confused about the transmission shifting on my parents 87 300 SDL. I remember driving the car and being able to get the transmission to shift down without having to use the kickdown switch. Mind you that I have not driven the car in years but recently they had the transmission replaced and when I drive it now it seems that the only way to get it to shift down is using the kickdown switch. Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? Also noticed that between 25-40 mph if the car is going up a hill that it is very sluggish. If someone can provide some insight I greatly appreciate it.
The general nature of most M/B transmissions (including yours) is their lack of any desire to do a part throttle downshift. They will do it, but the conditions must be "onerous".

What I mean by onerous is that the vehicle speed must be such that the engine speed has dropped well below 1500 rpm when the accelerator is pressed. In the area of 1800-2500 you'll never get the part throttle downshift unless you use the kickdown switch.

In these circumstances, that lever that sits just to the right of your right hand is your friend. You can effect a 4-3 downshift at anytime you need it without the need to use the kickdown switch. If you drive the vehicle around town in "3" (recommended), you can effect a 3-2 downshift with just a touch of the lever down one notch.

I currently drive a 300SE with a 2.47 diff and it presents special challenges in the exact same regard. It must utilize a 4-3 downshift for any acceleration and I must provide it. It also must utilize a 3-2 downshift for any serious accels from 25 mph to about 40 mph and I must provide that as well. The vehicle will sit there like the proverbial slug without my input.

There are limitations to any transmission design that is not electronically controlled and these boxes are a classic example of that. If you need the rpm's without the desire to mash the pedal, you're going to have to get them yourself.