View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Not so amused

A difference that you can see? Not as far as I know.

Everyone has to make their own call on fluids. Some people would have you believe that your wheel bearings will seize solid and your family pets will all run away if you use anything except the Mercedes wheel bearing grease. I have a container of Lucas high temp that says otherwise.

That said, I have always used the correct coolant, even back in the days before G-05, when I had to go see Uncle Merciless at the parts counter to buy the factory stuff. From my point of view, being able to get the correct coolant at a chain store now is a bonus.

If you plan to change it every two years and you use the correct mix, it may make no difference. If after this change you plan to leave it in, I'd suggest for the price difference why take a flyer on Prestone?

I can tell you that I have been on Mercedes forums and discussion lists since 1995 and on every one, the people with the most experience -- and the mechanics present -- regarded the use of the correct coolant as religion, more so than anything else (synthetic vs dino, gear oil, etc.).

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22