View Single Post
Old 01-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Diesel Power

Unhappy BAD Sunday morning

On my way to work this morning, I heard a quck rattling noise (not internal engine thankfully), then got to watch the alternator light, and the mystery light next to it gradually increase to full brightness, and got a whiff of coolant. I also got to observe the temp guage race to the red peg faster than I've ever seen a car heat up in my life. I got it off the road and parked on a side street before any truly expensive engine sounds started happening thankfully. Anyway by the time I got home, and back to where I left the car with the truck and trailer, I had full daylight to look under the hood. I started the car and tried to see if I could get a better idea as to what died. NONE of the belts are turning, as well as NONE of the pullies - INCLUDING the crank pully. I just got home a few minutes ago, and haven't yet started dismantling the front of the car. I suspect the failure to be the water pump as there was quite the coolant mess, steam, and the overheat when all this started happening. What should I expect to find in the area of the crank pulley? I'm VERY nervous about the fact that it was also not moving when the water pump locked up. PLEASE tell me honestly that I'm not looking at a huge expensive repair. Oh yes, this will be the 80 240D.