View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randych View Post
Hey everyone! I’ve relied on the collective wisdom of this group over the past 10 years for the care and feeding of my 1983 300D. But the sad fact is that I’m just not driving it that much anymore and need to figure out what to do with it. Here are my options, as I see it:

1. Fix it up and sell it. I kept it in decent shape for most of the time I’ve owned it, but the issues have started to pile up over the past couple of years and it needs a bit of TLC.

2. Sell it “as is” and see what I can get for it.

3. Donate it and try for a tax write off (I really don’t want to do this for some reason, but it would certainly be the easy way out).

The car has 289K miles but starts and runs like a champ. It shifts reasonably well (with the exception of a little 2-3 flare). There’s an oil leak somewhere to the tune of about half a quart between changes, but it doesn’t appear to be burning oil. The interior is in pretty good shape with the exception of a few small cracks in the dash and a tear in the headliner by the passenger window. Brakes, tires and battery are in good shape. Windows and locks work. No vacuum leaks. The heat works great, and the AC was working up until recently but now blows only hot air (maybe a mono valve issue?). Regular oil and filter changes, etc.

But there are definitely some bigger issues that need to be addressed, and I just don’t have the time to deal with them. It vibrates like crazy at idle, which I’m pretty sure is the engine mounts. The sunroof opens but won’t close. The driver’s seat sags more than I’d like. There was serious sun damage in the middle of the roof when I bought it, and that’s starting to rust up (although no other rust, as far as I can tell). And when it really rains I get too much moisture inside the car. It might be related to the sunroof, the roof damage, or maybe a bad windshield seal – I haven’t been able to figure it out.

So… what to do? Any thoughts what a car in this condition might get on the market? I really have no idea what to even ask. What fixes could/should be done before trying to sell? I’m willing to put some money into the car, but I obviously don’t want to put more in than I’ll get back when I sell it.

Any help at all on how to move on would be much appreciated!

Randy
I would urge you to join the growing trend around here of giving your car away to someone who would appreciate it, not a charity mind you, but a person that might want to drive it every day. Just yesterday, a guy here got a running old MB diesel just for saying yes to a guy near him. Unless you're strapped for cash and actually need the money - were it mine, I'd give it away in 2 seconds........could make someone very happy. I've given two cars away, and I'm probably going to start giving more of 'em away rather than try to extract money from unwilling buyers. To me, I don't want to spend time doing that anymore. Anyway, consider that it'd be gone and out of your hair in 72 hours too!