Thread: In a Bind
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM

Thank you all for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
Hmmm, well trouble is, I spend $20 and another two hours, and the bit walks around and in the same place. All I have left is couple heater hoses I am hoping I can squeeze by, the master cylinder and booster, and maybe the vacuum lines. Then can undo the sway bar and get the old out. New will soon be on its way.

This has been somewhat of a positive situation, as the battery tray needs attention (caught just in time as major surface rust, but no holes), the body under the tray needs a good cleaning, and the sway bar mounts are hard as rocks. Yes, I could go many more miles with hard sway bar mounts, but will help improve the ride quality for which Mercedes is known for. Might even help with the passenger side sag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
Another option:

This often works well but each situation is different, your mileage may vary, etc.......

Get a nut of about the right size for the broken bolt. Weld it onto the stub (maybe just the end will be visible) of the broken bolt. WHILE IT'S STILL HOT back out the bolt. If you don't have access to welding gear have a mobile welder come out. It'll still be quicker and cheaper. Be sure the car is up high enough for the welder to get in there and make sure you have a reasonably clean and dry surface for him/her to work off of - it'll be cheaper.

Dan
Dan, that work when the bolt is proud. In this case, it is recessed a good 10mm into the sway bar. Though, will keep this in mind!

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.