View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750KMILZ View Post
That's odd. I have a 1982 300SD parts car as well (actually had two of them). The one I have now, I don't see the wire either. No telling what kind of can of worms I've opened. Like you mentioned, the picture from mach4 looks like the one that came out of my SD originally too.
I believe that the tach pickup on the transmission was an 84-85 only item. No reason it wouldn't work other engines, but you need the proper intermediate plate that has the hole for the VR pickup.

If you don't have that setup, it's a pretty easy task to pull the tach signal off the harmonic balancer and use the tach amp on the fender well. Unfortunately you'll need the correct tach module in the cluster too as the harmonic balancer sensor gets one signal per revolution while the flywheel sensor gets about 50 signals per revolution.

The 84-85 tach get's its signal through the EGR controller - at least that's the way it's wired. An important piece of new information is that you can bypass the EGR controller and hook the VR sensor wires directly to the tach module in the cluster! This is one less piece of crap that is needed to adapt the later tach system to an earlier vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750KMILZ View Post
@mach4 - I saw your signature line (I need to get mine set up). How did the 380SL diesel conversion work out? I drove one of those cars many years ago (it was actually given to me as a loaner for two days when I had my 300SDL in the shop), and it was a great little car. That's the only one I've ever driven. I also like the Ford diesel pickups. Never had a Power Stroke like you have, but my old beater that I use on our cattle farm is one of the first 7.3L diesels, a 1988 F250, built in late 1987. Had an aftermarket turbo on it when I bought it, and it's a great machine!
The conversion is really working out well. I've already got over 26000 miles on it and it's my daily driver. In the spring we took it from San Diego to Arkansas and are planning on taking it to North Carolina the end of the month. Mileage is great (well over 30 highway) and it's a dream to drive.

If you're interested in the conversion, it's completely documented here - 380SL Diesel Conversion Project and the web site for the car is here - 380SL Diesel Swap Project Web Site
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica

Last edited by mach4; 09-03-2013 at 12:29 AM.