Thread: In a Bind
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I can't know for sure but I get the feeling that you've run the bit at too high a speed.

A cobalt drill bit is essentially a normal bit with a coating on it - if you drill with this at a high speed - allow it to get hot - the coating gets gone. You should operate these bits at a slow hand drill type of speed with lots of cutting oil / even WD40 (if you have to) to keep it cool.
Well, seems like a good possibility, as did some in the beginning but not now. I didn't use much "cutting" fluid and did go full speed a couple times, though most times less than a quarter trigger; figured low speed give more control. Does heat kill any drill bits? Might explain why my metric set went bad...

I use A.T.F. for cutting fluid now, as have a big bottle in Sandy Eggo so don't feel like buying another. I use A.T.F. from an antique oiling can, and this time has about a third of Kroil. The can lost its propellant, so jabbed a Phillips screw driver through it and poured some out.

I have most of the master cylinder out and just got to access the one nut, once that is off and the booster out of the way, can start in pulling the sway bar. I can fiddle for hours with no results or just get it done and over with. Say got about two hours at most in, and relaxed pace; hast makes waste! Figure even if it takes eight hours, way more enjoyable than in the wheel well going deaf and hurting! My arthritis no longer likes me being in a ball...

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.

Last edited by Adriel; 09-03-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Es ist spate!