View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Benz addict

Funny thing about wagons.....

Back in 1993, I was looking for a wagon, we had just sold our Taurus wagon, and I wanted to replace it with a Mercedes. Since my wife was no longer working, I figured if we were going to "store" a car in the garage, it might as well be something cool.

I was looking at late w123 TDs, and happened to make a trip to Oklahoma City with my cousin. While there, we looked through the classifieds and found an 87 300TD that had been traded in at the local Infinity dealership.

On a lark, we went over to look at it, and the price was not too much more than what I was seeing for really nice W123 TDs.

Bought it, flew back out a month later and drove it home.

My wife developed a symbiotic relationship to the car. She loved it. We had it 12 years before I replaced it with an immaculate 95 E320 wagon my friend's wife was driving. Still, it took me a year after that to convince her to sell "her" diesel. It was funny, both wagons were the same color, and to the non enthusiast, it looked like Linda was still driving the same car.

Now, Linda does not want to trade up from her wagon. Even though most of the kids are out of the house, she still wants to keep a wagon for it's utility value. Couldn't even get her to swallow the bait wrt getting a newer diesel.

Given that our current one spends most of it's life in the garage and looks like new, I think I, errr...she, will hang onto it for quite a bit longer....

Jim
85 300TD 4 spd man, euro bumpers and lights, 15" Pentas dark blue 274k miles