View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraakevik View Post
It's not likely that whatever ails the engine can be fixed in situ--that head will almost certainly need to be removed and rebuilt.

Before doing anything I'd make sure that the diaphragm in the vacuum pump isn't leaking--if it is an enormous amount of oil will be sucked out of the cam tower and into the manifold to be burned along with the fuel until the carbon buildup finally affects the plugs and valves

Tim Kraakevik
kraakevik@voyager.net
I was pretty sure it wasn't that, because the valve openings expand with the hot engine, and it doesn't smoke that much until the engine is up to tempurature. But incase that was the issue I got a piece of hose and connected the intake manifold to the brake booster, bypassing the vacuum pump. I was testing how that worked out and it did seem like less smoke at first, but I didn't get a chance to bring the engine all the way to temperature. The spark plugs are so fouled that the engine wont idle without stalling and it would take at least four minutes to go from 0 to 60. To keep the car drivable for the past year I've been replacing the plugs each time I change the oil; and it's time for an oil/plug change. That doesn't do anything about the carbon building everywhere else inside the engine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandor View Post
Are you sure you don't have a blow-by problem? How would oil get in the carbs if only the valve seals are leaking?

>You need to pressurize the cylinder with compressed air, that will keep the >valves at there highest point, in there seats.

This does not work well with old engines, as the rings/valves do not seal well and thus it's easy to accidentally push the valve down. Ie. the air pressure does not hold the valve with a lot of force.
Regarding the rings, I've done a compression test and all the readings were fairly similar to each other, no outliers, but they were all low around 105 psi. Isn't about 160 psi the norm with most engines? I think I saw on wikipedia once that there was a low-compression version of the M110 (maybe it had to be tuned down for US regulations at the time )

Also, just another quick thought, recently I've been thinking about selling the car. What would you guys say about that? I paid $1,500 for it.