View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 AM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-kay View Post
Update: I did NOT use the block as planter or swap with a short block. I repaired the engine and it IS running. I changed out the rod, main bearings, honed the cylinders, polished the crank shaft, new oil chain, replaced rings, replaced head gasket and it is alive. Compression is good across all cylinders, 320+psi measured cold, and it is running. All done with the short block in the car and <$200. That is all I spent.

The problem is that it smokes a bit and the exhaust smell terrible and irritating to eyes. I suspect the turbo was damaged and is burning oil. The car was driven for about 1/2 miles after the chain snapped and no oil pressure to engine/turbo. Engine seized because I did not notice there was no oil pressure.

Is it possible that turbo was damaged under this scenario? I am going to get an used turbo to try out. Any comments?
The turbo bearings are ruined.
Lack of oil kills them in seconds at anything above engine (starter) cranking rpm.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70