View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Fast Attack Submarines

What'd I do wrong?? Valve adjustment

82 617 turbo. I was doing fine until #2 exhaust (which was the fourth valve I did).

The cap on the valve spring was turning, with the other valves I was able to use a homemade tool to grab it enough to turn the bottom nut down without the cap turning, but this one was tight.

I finally took the injector out to get room to get a vice grips in, and got it. Now, I was putting more side stress than I like on it, but it work and I turned it down, and then was able to lower the top nut clockwise quite a bit, but never got ANY valve clearing. I must have moved it 5 full turns or more.

I was afraid to go anymore because the lower nut was getting tight, like there wasnt threat left (I've never seen one of these valves out).

I even thought maybe I broke the damn valve stem with side stress and that was causing the clearance not to change, so I rotated the engine by hand to make sure. No jet of air out the valve area and no funny noises or stop at TDC .

Finished the rest of the valves and put it back together. Since I'm too stupid to do one thing at a time, I also changed the fuel filters and filled the new filter with powerkleen.

Started it up, I have more valvetrain noise, and gray smoke. Took it out on the road, drove about thirty five miles at varying speeds.

Shakey at idle, runs great off idle with lots more power, but even after 35 miles I've got the light gray smoke (especially at startup), and more 'clack clack'.

I've got the feeling that I somehow got the #2E rocker in a bind when I was futzing with the spring cap and now it's adusted to about a 1/4" of play...but I'm open to other thoughts..suggestions....kicks in the head.
Hers: '72 Corvette 454/4spd, '99 MB SLK, '93 Metro vert, 78 240D, '92 Silverado, '65 Fjord Rustang, '59 Fjord Fairlane, '17 Slingshot.