Thread: 78 300d
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 AM

If you have Time drop by a Harbor Freight Store and pic up one of the inexpensive Electrical Digital Multimeters. If you get the Car Started again see if you Battery is charging.

I don't know if your year and Model has the Neutral Safety Switch Connector located in the same spot as on the Turbo Models; see the pics.

In the 2nd pic it shows where to use a Jumper Wire to bypass the Neutral Safety Switch.
I don't know if your Wires are the same Color or not but one set of wires goes to the Neutral Safety and the other set goes to the Back Up Lights.

In the last 1.5 Years People have been having issues with their Steering Colum Lock (that turns the Ignition Switch) and the Ignition Switch itself.

While it was still working in the Pic of the Ignition Switch the Contact Point on one side is burned off. In My case it was the inside of the Steering Colum Lock the tube that turns the Ignition Switch broke.
I replaced the whole assembly and it comes with a New Ignition Switch and Vacuum Shutoff Valve when you get the steering Colum Lock.

There is an Engine to Chassis Ground Strap under the Car about where your Feet Rest that could be checked along with where the + Cable bolts to the Starter.

The Starter is similar in design and function to the old AC Delco Starters that used to be on all GM Cars.
Attached Thumbnails
78 300d-neutral-safety-switch-connector-1.jpg   78 300d-neutral-safety-switch-connector-2-sep-13.jpg   78 300d-ignition-switch-burned-contact-blow-up-sep-13.jpg