View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 AM

Musings on the Current State of the Used Diesel Market

Just some random musings (from a market observer and participant in New England)...

First, the market for the W123 seems to be going the way of the dodo bird (sorry, I don't mean to offend). Yes, I know they will always have their devotees; and that one in unusually good condition will command a significant premium. But, due to the reasonable pricing of the W124 (see below), it's hard to see how someone gets more than $1500 (give or take) for a good condition W123. Others on this forum have made similar observations about the passing of the torch from 123 to 124.

Second, good condition W124s seem to abound. I don't have any doubt that, at any given moment, I could pick up a decent W124 that I'd be happy to have as a daily driver somewhere in the $3-4k range. Unless the car is just extraordinary, it's hard to see $5-6 prices going forward. FWIW I think the W126 straddles the line between W123 and W124.

Third, I am now seeing good condition, desirable examples of the W210 in the $5-6k range. I've never owned one....but they sure look fun. With the prices dropping, I can't imagine it will be too long before I snag one....their deficiencies notwithstanding. (Incidentally, my auto body guy will do preventative spring perch replacements for $300 a side....not too bad.)

Fourth, while I have not followed the W211 very closely, it seems like we're getting to the point where a good one can be had for $10k or close to it.

I will add that right now seems to be a particularly soft market....everyone seems to be having difficulty selling. Not sure why that's the case.

Anyone have similar....or different....observations?

19 Honda CR-V EX 61k mi
Fourteen other MB's owned and sold
1961 Very Tolerant Wife

Last edited by shertex; 09-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.