View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
Well it is not hard to make it a mean thing to shift. There are a number of small things that can be wrong. You had to shorten them and if you shorten them all about 4 inch, that should be OK. Did you put new bushings in the eye of the adjustable ends, it is pretty cheap and easy to do. The shifter can be worn out. It is also rather inexpensive and not too difficult. But in doing all that, I still had trouble getting mine to shift nice and easy. So I made that little 6mm tool from a 6mm bolt. I cut the head and threaded part off the bolt and welded the threaded part at 90 degree to the smooth short piece of rod for a little handle. Then I ground the smooth piece at the other end to a point to make it easy to insert. Then make sure the transmission is in neutral and with that pin holding the shift levers in alignment, put the long shift rods in place and at the same time adjust there length at the clevis end to fit just right. Now here is a picture of the rods and there placement. If your transmssion is a late one they may differ - then let me know and I will fix you up with the correct one. This picture is of the shift rods through 81.

http://mb.ilcats.ru/part/class/1/ccode/F/cat/68K/type/123/subtype/123/group/26

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!