View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM

I have just moved back from living in Germany for three years and traveling quite a bit looking at older German cars (it's a sickness I know) and one thing I noticed in the differences in W114/W115 models is that the options were much different for US vs Europe. for instance most base models would never have A/C, power windows, or a sunroof. also there are way more Diesels are built with a 4 speed then auto like for the North American market. even into the to the late 80s it was possible to get a new Mercedes wit hcloth seats and non- power options. Remember in Germany Mercedes is just another car, and most usually a tan colored taxi cab... it is Germany's Chevy or Ford. Now some may argue, but remember that GM and Ford have super models and crap box starter cars... So does Mercedes (A-series). to the point the best way to tell if your Benz ins a NA or Euro is certainly by the VIN or Write Mercedes and ask were the shipping destination for your VIN was. In Washington it will have a grey market tag on the drivers B pillar by the door striker. There are probably lots of other "tells" however nothing is as good as the VIN and MBs catalogs of info. Heck if you want it is possible to travel to Stuttgart and take your older Mercedes and have it rebuilt to factory specs. you can also go to the museum and on the first floor there are older models that are rehabed to factory specs. Just my .02 MikeD>

1975 300D, Feuerrot and Parchment interior

1971 220D (RIP)