View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 AM

Overfilled transmission......

Well after much think, reading and asking.....I have discovered I have had my transmission over filled for close to 2 years....

At first I thought the high reeves and hard shifting was normal....then I thought it was the linkage, then I thought it was the kickdown switch.....

Well going down the list, I fixed the out of adjustment linkage, the dead kickdown switch.....

But my shifting was still a little harder then I thought it should be...

Next time to slowly start draining fluid, noticed I was probably a quart over filled...

First drain, shifting got smoother...down shifting started to happen where there was none before....and sooner....

Second draining....my kickdown switch finally worked....twice!!

Now I will do a third draining tomorrow...and see if the shifts become even more unnoticeable...

But I noticed my fluid is dark...and a light burnt smell.....has only been in for 2 years, previous owner had the trans rebuilt in 2003...

So in the end, I suppose I single handed damaged my transmission....because I was unfamiliar on how to read the dipstick....

When I get some extra change, I will do a fluid and filter change......and just keep driving.....hopefully I will still get a good amount of miles from this transmission....