View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Fast Attack Submarines

Overfill won't damage the tranny, and should not have affected shifting. What it will do is cause a spectacular fire when it pukes out of the tube onto the exhaust manifold (ask me how I know).

Try a filter change and drain the TC as well, fill with good stuff to exact measure of what drained out of both. Good chance tranny is fine.

While I'm a firm believer that mechanics don't come in cans, I did the above with mine and substitute 28 ounces of lucas trans conditioner in my change. Acts like a new tranny and my fluid was brown and smelled like burning tractor tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Well after much think, reading and asking.....I have discovered I have had my transmission over filled for close to 2 years....

At first I thought the high reeves and hard shifting was normal....then I thought it was the linkage, then I thought it was the kickdown switch.....

Well going down the list, I fixed the out of adjustment linkage, the dead kickdown switch.....

But my shifting was still a little harder then I thought it should be...

Next time to slowly start draining fluid, noticed I was probably a quart over filled...

First drain, shifting got smoother...down shifting started to happen where there was none before....and sooner....

Second draining....my kickdown switch finally worked....twice!!

Now I will do a third draining tomorrow...and see if the shifts become even more unnoticeable...

But I noticed my fluid is dark...and a light burnt smell.....has only been in for 2 years, previous owner had the trans rebuilt in 2003...

So in the end, I suppose I single handed damaged my transmission....because I was unfamiliar on how to read the dipstick....

When I get some extra change, I will do a fluid and filter change......and just keep driving.....hopefully I will still get a good amount of miles from this transmission....
Hers: '12 Volt, '04 Hummer H2 '99 SLK 230 miles, '93 Metro Convertible , '92 Silverado, '65 Fjord Rustang, '59 Fjord Fairlane
Bikes: '12 CBR250R "Repsol" '85 CMX250CD , '81 MB5,'77 GT250, '76 Suzuki GT550, '75 Suzuki GT750, '74 GT750, '72 GT750
My sexy tractor: '48 Ford 8n