View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM

You did not say which Wheel Bearings. But, I am guessing the front ones.

Safely jack up the front of the Car and rotate the wheels and listen for a grinding sound.

You also might as well Start the Engine and have someone brake hard and release and the rotate the Wheels. If the Wheels do not rotate easily something is preventing your Brake Caliper Pistons from retracting.

Remove the Wheel spread the Brake Pads enough so that they don't Rub; or you could pull the brake pads

If you have a Dial Indicator remove the Hub Cap and set it up to take a reading on the Hub end Play.
You can also pull it back and forth to see if there is any Play.
Rotate the Hub and see if you can feel any roughness or hear a grinding sound.

Of course visual inspection is the ultimate way to check but while simple is some work due to having to clean and re-grease just to see. Changing the Bearings is more work and you face the fact that even the well known name brands of Bearings have 3 or more grades of Bearings. The local Part Store is likely to sell you the made in China grade eve if it is a well known Company.

For Myself If I inspected the Bearings and they were good I would leave them alone and just change the Grease Seal.
Also since I was not successful at adjusting the Hub end play by Hand (I end up over heating the Grease and having to remove the that Grease and do it again) always used the Dial Indicator as the Service Manual tells you and have never had an issue since though I have had the Front Hubs off several times.